The latest news and gossip within the food industry will be captured on Eat Drink Africa.com first! Keep up with the latest trendy restaurants, the top bars, the celebrity chefs and some of the most breath taking events. Sign up to the newsletter to get a personal update of the latest happenings in the world of African Food and drink.
Disclaimer: Content on these pages is obtained from various food blogs via their provided RSS feeds.
As explained in a previous post, cabbage is a really healthy vegetable to eat, and eating it regularly has lots of benefits...! Read post on cabbage here.
mostly eat cabbages in slaws and salads, which makes their use limited. But from all my different exploration and experimentation, I have discovered a few new ways to include cabbage into some every day Nigerian menu, and will be sharing these with you in my following posts....
First up is Cabbage Eba / Cabbeba
The typical Nigerian food features a carb rich side dish which is served with some soup. People tend to avoid eating this dish because of its high carb content, and those who are guarding against weight gain, avoid it all together, in favour of others which are "supposedly healthier".
Well here is a way to make your favourite swallow dish more healthy... by adding pureed vegetables such as cabbage (white or red), you can significantly increase the fibre content of the dish, and also significantly lower its calories..! And the taste...? you wont even notice a difference...! you have to try it to believe me.!!!
Here is how...
What you need
- White or red cabbage (any variety will do really)
- Gari granules
What to do
- Cut the cabbage into small pieces and place in a blender with a little amount of water.
- Blend cabbage into a smooth paste/smoothie. Transfer the blended cabbage into a deep base pan and allow to boil for about 2 minutes.
- Then add the gari, a little at a time stirring continuously to avoid lumps being formed.
- Continue until you achieve a stiff paste.
- Add some hot water and cover the pan to allow the cabbeba to cook for about 2 minutes.
- Then continue to stir again until you achieve a smooth and soft consistency.
- Serve hot with your favourite vegetable soup...
What the YouTube Video here: