The latest news and gossip within the food industry will be captured on Eat Drink Africa.com first! Keep up with the latest trendy restaurants, the top bars, the celebrity chefs and some of the most breath taking events. Sign up to the newsletter to get a personal update of the latest happenings in the world of African Food and drink.
Disclaimer: Content on these pages is obtained from various food blogs via their provided RSS feeds.
Las Gigi Mess...! I struggled a little with the name to give this recipe. Its been a dessert idea that I conceived many many years
ago, I took the picture and totally forgot about it,,,..! That is so typical of me though, those who know me know how I often put doing things off and then I forget about them all together, am sure I resemble some of you in this habit sha..., no bi only me!
Anyway, I was exploring how to make a dessert that will represent at least something about Lagos, which is by the way known as Las Gigi (by some youths).
So I wondered, what do most Lagos youth love as dessert, answer is ice-cream. What else do they eat as snack mostly, answer is Chin-Chin.... Okay, what are some other snack items that can combine well with the two items above....so I determined, a fruit, some nuts, delicious syrup or chocolate / fruit sauces, the result Lagos Mess / Las Gigi Mess, following on in the tradition known as Eton Mess...! I tell you, its a really Delicious Mess..! oya go and try it too.
You can explore this further, by adding shuk shuk, crushed chocolate etc....anything you fancy
What you need
- Good quality creamy ice-cream of your choice
- Coconut candy
- Good sweet fruit of your choice (I used tangelo in this recipe)
- Chocolate sauce
- Honey or fruit syrup of choice
What to do
- Arrange the tangelo wedges in the bottom of a dessert bowl, the add a few scoops of ice-cream.
- Top with crushed chin-chin, groundnuts, crushed coconut candy.
- Finish off by drizzling chocolate sauce, syrup over, in a carefree manner.
- Never mind the mess, that's where it got its name!